Monday, April 27, 2015

Week 86: Wow! Wisdom Beyond His Young Missionary Years.

Dear Mom and Dad,
I'm holding up all right. No I haven't killed him yet haha just a lot of prayer and service going on to keep that from happening haha. I can definitely feel heaven's help in dealing with this... interesting trial I've been given. Thanks so much for the vitamins!! They literally came on the perfect day! That morning I woke up and took my last dose that was in the bottle and went "Oh crap I'm in trouble" Then they came that afternoon! So I really appreciate that! Those should last me about a transfer. No I didn't get your letter, but I'm sure it'll come today or tomorrow. So good news! I talked to president, and I will be going home August 4th. Plenty of time to get ready for the orientation and get prepped for college. So I have some advice straight from David A. Bednar. 2 Nephi 33:1 And now I, Nephi, cannot write all the things which were taught among my people; neither am I mighty in writing, like unto speaking; for when a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men. Please note where it says "Unto" not "Into".
We can only teach them so much, then they have to open their hearts and act in order to learn things for themselves. My answer to serve a mission came only after I acted and prayed about whether or not to serve. It didn't come in seminary or any of the classes I was in, as good as those things are. And even saying that, had I not had the intention to act on the prompting I got, I wouldn't have got an answer either. To quote Increase in Learning, we are meant to be learners who are agents who act, not objects to be acted upon. So my recommendation is to try a new tactic, and teach with that in mind. People need to go through the process of learning what's right for themselves, rather than just being told it. Teaching them what's right is definitely important, but it's never enough. If others never learn for themselves, then as soon as they leave the home, they fall away. So my invitation to you, is to re-evaluate how you are teaching, and try a new pattern. Try to leave them something to do. Something that they are going to need to do, that will have them act for theirselves to learn something, and then be sure to follow up.  The drive has got to come from them and there's only so much we can do to help. That works the same for anything else.  Um back onto the week not much is going on. Working here is really hard, because pretty much this whole area is HOA, who really don't like people knocking on doors, to the point missionaries have had the cops called on them.There's been a few times I've been like "Crikey, it's the Indianan Rozzers!" Techinically there's not anything we are doing wrong, but President Cleveland has asked that we not tract here.  So we pretty much can't tract in this area. So we are limited to our area and the help of the members. So we will definitely learn how to work with the members in this ward!! As far as the week goes that's about it. Thanks for all you guys do for me! Love you and we will talk next week!
Love, Elder Braken Park

In my letter this week, I had asked Braken for advice in how to reach those who need our help.  This was his response.

No comments:

Post a Comment